5 Minute Review: The Lost Symbol

The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3) Reviewing: The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Let me start my saying that the Robert Langdon books are the only palatable Dan Brown books for me. This is likely due to the architectural puzzles and mysteries contained within. I picked up The Lost Symbol with expectations of being at least similar to the earlier Langdon books; however, this book managed to disappoint me beyond my expectations.

Dan Brown has a reputation for bloated dialogue and formulaic storylines; in The Lost Symbol, he excels in this to whole new levels. The storyline itself is somewhat predictable - I knew where they'd end up after the first few chapters. The dialogue itself is fat with redundancies, and even makes the storyline unintelligible in places. Oddly, the protagonist Langdon is seemingly led by the nose through the story like a clueless idiot; a far cry from the expert witnessed in his earlier books. Even the architectural mysteries are feebly used, tacked in almost as something to keep the Langdon fans happy.

This truly was an awful book with few redeeming features. I was lent a copy, so thankfully didn't have to pay for this. I recommend this book as one only to borrow from a library or a friend - do not waste your money, even if you are a Dan Brown fan.

View all my reviews >>