5 Minute Review: Fight Club

Fight Club: A Novel Reviewing: Fight Club: A Novel by Chuck Palahniuk
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I usually hesitate to read a book that's led to a movie if I've seen the movie first (and vice versa), as the mystery and novelty have usually been removed for me. In this case, I loved the movie and so, when I was presented with an opportunity to read the book, I leaped at it.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover this book differs sufficiently enough from the movie that I was able to re-experience the characters and story almost as new. The author's writing style certainly lends itself to this differentiation, with its gritty narrative and visualisations. The use of perspective and chaotic descriptions make this book a smooth read, and the subjects touched upon in a way that's almost poetic and certainly thought-provoking.

I can see how some who liked the movie wouldn't like this book but, for me, it was a thoroughly enjoyable read. I'd class this book as one of the "must-read" novels of my generation and will recommend it to anyone.

View all my reviews >>